Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

An Answer. But is it Our Final Answer?

Scott and I have been sleeping on the decision regarding Jack's schooling. I think we have come to a decision.

It has become apparent to me that I am not going to be able to provide the amount of DAILY social opportunities that the therapist would like Jack to have while homeschooling him. I have sought out different playgroups, and there seems to be two problems with them (well, not with the playgroups, but with the opportunity).

One problem is that most of the kids tend to be young; they are barely Jack's age or younger. One homeschool playgroup seemed to be used as a general playgroup, with the moms not really interested in homeschooling, or they were planning on homeschooling but weren't there age-wise. The second problem I found with the homeschool playgroups is that I am there. And if I'm present, then Jack doesn't leave my side if there are more than four kids in attendance. Which defeats the whole purpose of taking him to a playgroup. To really get Jack out of his comfort zone and push him to deal with his anxieties, he needs more interaction without me present. And there doesn't seem to be many options other than a traditional school setting.

The thought of sending Jack to an all day kindergarten class is terrifying. This is going to be difficult for him AND us. The counselor told us to give it a good five weeks before determining if it's working or helping Jack. Five weeks is a long time for both kid and parents to be potentially miserable! But God knows that it can be different. It may not be as difficult as I'm expecting. Jack may adjust well and like it. I'll just need to trust the Lord that we are making the right decision for now. Later, He may have us take a different direction (like bringing him back home).

Thanks to all of you who have prayed for us while we have been pondering this decision. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but for me, it's a pretty big deal. We are risking the progress we've made with Jack. We are risking Jack having a very negative attitude toward school and learning. We are risking Jack shutting down emotionally because of the stress. We are risking incidentally humiliating Jack (his potty issues and anxieties).

But we need to strike while the iron is hot (while Jack is young and still malleable). We need to start seeing some progress in the social arena soon or it will be harder to combat. So off to school he'll go.

I've put a call into the counselor at the school so that we (Jack and I) can walk around the kindergarten area while school is going on so that Jack can see what school will be like. Then the classroom will be familiar to him when he starts, presumably, next week.


-- Posted from my iPhone -- ain't technology grand?

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Thanks for sharing your story Nicole!
As a teacher some advice I give to parents of students with special needs is to bring little gifts regularly. It's not that you're trying to buy the teacher off, it's that you're saying "I know my child takes a little extra from you and I appreciate that." I suggest something like finding out the teacher's favorite Starbucks drink and bringing it now and then, baked goods, etc. It opens doors, puts your child in a more positive light, and lets the teacher know you're on his/her side.
I'll be praying for you guys and looking for updates.

The Scotts said...

Nicole you are my hero! what an amazing mom you are. I love your compassion for Jack and his needs. You have great courage and I know God will honor your decision. I will continue to pray that you will see His goodness in this. So my friend standing beside you being your cheerleader!

scott * nicole * cade * jack * claire said...

Joyce -- FABULOUS advice! I really really do appreciate your advice! I will investigate her preferences so that I can shower her year-long with little presents of appreciation. Wonderful idea!

Tammy -- is this Perdomo or Scott? I'm confused on which Tammy you are! :) Thank you for standing with me and praying!!!!