Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tears for Pee

This afternoon I took Jack Jack up to his new elementary school to meet with the school counselor and get a tour of the school (this was more for Jack's sake, since Cade already attends this school and I"m vaguely familiar with it). It could not have gone better!

Jack loved the kindergarten area, especially the centers area and did not want to leave. He wanted to stay and play. This was such a fantastic reaction! I had expected him to be anywhere from indifferent to intolerant of the tour, especially the kindergarten area. But this is not at all what I saw. Jack was smiling, looking around, and playing with some of the things at the centers (cash registers, realistic looking food, etc).

We finished the tour and decided to check to see if the 2nd grade teachers needed any help with making copies. No, no help was needed. But then Jack said that he was getting cold, which is a signal that he is about to go to the bathroom.

I quickly found the bathrooms but then just as quickly realized he'd have to go in by himself. I couldn't take him into the girls restroom, because there could be girls his age in there. And I couldn't go into the boys' restroom; that would be inappropriate. So I told him he had to go in by himself and pee. AND GUESS WHAT?

HE DID! He seemed particularly excited about peeing in the little urinal (I had the door cracked open so I could hear him and he could hear me). I couldn't believe it. I almost started crying, I was so proud of him. Oh who am I kidding. I did cry a little.

Do you realize that this episode was unheard of just 5 months ago? He was still in pull-ups then. We couldn't put underwear on him without a physical fight and lots of tears and hysteria. Forget about getting him to sit on the potty. God has helped him grow up a LOT in the past five months. We've made great strides. HUGE developments. Praise Him!

Jack starts school Monday. I'm still expecting some transition issues but I am much more confident because of our experience at school today.

2 comments:

Rikki said...

nicole, i've been following your schooling decisions lately, and when i read this post i felt so happy for you! i understand the proud feeling of overcoming something so big! i pray that Jack continues to make progress and that you will all be comfortable and happy in your school choices.

Rodriguez_Family said...

Yay, Jack!!! I'm so excited for y'all, Nicole. Praise be to God!