Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just Say Sew



In an attempt to turn over a new leaf, I am buying Halloween costumes now (over a month before said event) rather than procrastinating until the day before our church's carnival and/or trick-or-treating and ending up with really lame costumes.

Claire wants to be a butterfly. This is pretty easy. I bought some pink wings off of the internet. I'll make her a pink tutu out of tulle. I bought antenna at Party City this morning. Put her in a pink leotard and tights, and voila: she's transformed from a cute little girl into a cute little butterfly.

Jack saw a Darth Vader costume at a store and instantly wanted with all his might to be the good ol' sith lord. So that was really easy. Plus it was on sale at the time. Jackpot.

And then there's Cade.

A little backstory is required here: We have been watching Phineas & Ferb (a cartoon on Disney) for several months now. It's a witty show that even Scott & I like to watch with the kids. As far as characters go, there's the brothers Phinease and Ferb, of course. And there's their sister Candice. And of course you can't leave out the evil but perennial failure Dr. Doofenshmirtz. But, by far, the kids' favorite character on the show is the family's pet platypus. Yes, the family has a pet platypus. Perry is his name.

Perry is not your ordinary platypus. He is actually a secret agent living out a "normal" existence with Phineas and Ferb's family when he's not on assignment. But when he gets the word that his assistance is needed, out comes the fedora and Perry is now Agent P.

So this is what Cade wants to be for Halloween: A secret agent platypus.



I briefly looked online, but couldn't find a turquoise platypus costume. What gives? So I had to switch gears and come up with one on my own. Because [insert sarcastic voice here] I have free time aplenty.

I was able to find someone else who has traveled this egg-laying-mammal road before and was able to pick up some pointers. But since I couldn't find any plain turquoise sweats, I am going to have to make them.

The pattern I'm using makes the boy blue pajamas in the picture below. I'll freehand a hood to attach to it.

Add the brown fedora that's already purchased, some orange feet made out of craft foam to go atop his tennis shoes, an orange bill that will fit over his mouth, and a beaver-looking tail (that reminds me... I still need to purchase fabric for the tail!), and voila. A more-complicated-than-mom-wanted costume that will transform Cade into Agent P.

No comments: