Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Drilling a Hole in Brick

This is a slight departure from the escapades of family life...

I was charged with drilling 6 holes in brick to put in hooks that would act as curtain tie backs for the curtains we hung around the patio. I knew that I needed to use a masonry bit for the job. I also knew that it would be best if I had a hammer drill (which I didn't have). But I also reasoned that it could be done with a regular corded drill.

I was correct on all those assumptions. What I didn't factor in was keeping the bit and the brick cool as I drilled. I went through 2 bits before getting the sage advice to squirt water where I was drilling to help keep the bit and the brick cool. Keeping things cool allowed the bit to dig into the brick and actually make progress. What a difference that made! So rather than taking 45 minutes to drill a hole (and use up a bit), it took 5 minutes tops per hole. Success!

I will post pics of the curtains later today. It adds some softness to the patio and makes it look inviting!

No comments: