Pages

Monday, January 04, 2010

House of Hope

I know. I know. Two posts in a week? I'm livin' on the edge.

A couple of months ago, I was approached about an opportunity that seems light years away from my life here in cushy Suburban America. And it is. House of Hope is a ministry in Managua, Nicaragua, that ministers to prostitutes and former prostitutes. The average age of a prostitute on the streets of Managua is 14. 14 years old! Can you imagine that? Doesn't that just blow your mind?

A brave woman named April started this ministry 8 or 9 years ago. She works to reach these women with the Good News of Christ. She also seeks to teach these women vocational skills that will allow them to leave their current line of work and make a new living for their families.

So where do I come in? I'm still not exactly sure.

But at the end of March, I will be headed to Managua with two other ladies to find out how the women of our church can serve April, the ladies living at the House of Hope, and the ladies April ministers to on the streets. I still can't quite imagine why God would have me go; but none-the-less. He has made a way for me to go, and go I will.

3 comments:

mrs. rains & family said...

wow! so exciting! i love all our connections to managua... i know all the russells will be so blessed to see you and to have you working so closely with the people they're serving! :)

Russells said...

yay! we're so excited you are coming! :)
i know the Lord has a purpose for you coming! He always does.

Julie said...

Can't wait to have you here! You bring me such joy when I'm around you!