Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Dentist Brouhaha

For some unknown crazy reason, I booked all three kids appointments at the dentist. At the same time. What in the world was I thinking?

A little background: Cade has seen the pediatric dentist 4 times now. And he has never allowed them to clean his teeth. Cade has never let them touch him. Just a basic visual inspection of his teeth is all Cade has allowed.

Jack has been only once before. And like Cade, will only let them peer into his mouth.

So what a huge surprise this morning when the hygienist comes out to tell me that neither of the boys are letting them into their mouths. Cade was at least communicating with words with them. Jack had resorted to tight lips and a hand firmly clasped over his mouth.

I debated the use of nitrous on the boys with the hygienist. We finally decided to wait on that and use it as a bargaining chip for the next dentist trip. Because, yeah. We have to do this again. And again and again. When I talked with the dentist, she informed me that Cade had announced that God knew that he was nervous and that God would not want him to go through with the cleaning since he was nervous. Okaaaaay.

As they were finishing up with the boys, Claire decides to, ahem, drop a load. And of course I didn't bring any diapers with us. She doesn't normally go in the morning! Thankfully my mom was with me and was able to run home and get some diapers. Meanwhile, I was liberally spraying Febreeze around the lobby, profusely apologizing to anyone still conscious despite the fumes.

The boys were basically done by the time I got Claire changed since there wasn't much the dental team could actually do with them. So it was Claire Bear's turn. They announced her name in the lobby and she bounded to the back, hardly containing herself. She couldn't wait to go! She did a great job of letting them look in her mouth (the hygienist didn't try and clean her teeth this time since it was Claire's first visit). But I'm guessing that Claire would have been fine with it anyway.

A little more drama from Cade and we were out the door. And it will only be six more months until we do this again.

1 comment:

Christie McBride said...

You should write a book!! Hysterical, Nicole. I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. I can just see you spraying febreeze all over the room!

By the way, I'm supposed to be a big girl and HATE the dentist. I usually get a cleaning every seven to ten years or so. It takes that long to get my nerve up! :o)