Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

The Writing is on the Wall

The good news? Cade can write his name very well. Capital "C" and lowercase "a d e". It's very good. We're so proud of his writing ability!

The bad news? Cade wrote his name perfectly... with a dry erase marker... on the carpet.... on the wall... on the grout... on the filing cabinet.

We were baffled. Cade has never tried to write on anything inside the house except what he is supposed to write on.

We had our friends, the Starlings, over for dinner when Cade did his graffiti. They were in awe over our calm reaction; we told them that we couldn't get too upset about it because they (the Starlings) would be witnesses. Scott & I have decided that Cade's punishment will be no TV or movies for a week. While this punishment is as much punishment to me as it is to Cade (Cade watches some shows while Jack & Claire take a nap; this allows me some downtime or time to get some other things done), I think taking away his shows will have a big impact on him.

We don't have any pictures to show of this incident as we started cleaning it up right away and thought about pictures after we were done cleaning. Yes, dry erase marker is very hard to clean. Yes, there are still pink/red and green/blue patches visible on our carpet. Yes, there are pink/red and green/blue stains on our grout. Yes, this means we absolutely most positively need hardwood floors throughout the house.

5 comments:

mawmaw said...

he was going to do it sooner or later,what child hasn't

Joel, Melody, Grant, and Kate said...

Oh, man...that reminds me of when Grant found the biggest black permanent marker, you know the one you use for garage sale signs...it's like 1/2 inch tip...he colored with it on the desk, the wood chair, the carpet, the piano bench, a few ivories, and the ottoman that was only a few months old! I knew something wasn't right when he was so quiet! :-) My only consolation was telling myself, "I'm not taking this to heaven. I'm not taking this to heaven. I'm not taking this to ..." LOL

Joel, Melody, Grant, and Kate said...

I guess I forgot to say that we did get most of it out, amazingly enough. Between oxi clean, carpet cleaner, and upholstery cleaner from Rooms to Go...you wouldn't know unless we pointed it out to you.

steele family said...

good job, mom and dad! i would have lost it!

great job, Cade!

Curdie said...

Did you try spot shot?