Pages

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Threat Level: Midnight

It began as a normal day. Actually, no, that's not correct. The day began at 6:40 AM with Cade crying for me repeatedly. By the time Scott and I stumbled into the boys' room, Cade was starting to dry heave in his bed. Bummer. Hate when the kids are sick! So Scott takes Cade into the bathroom (linoleum is so much easier to clean than carpet, you know) to change his clothes and calm him down. I calm Jack down, who is now screaming because Cade was crying.

By this time, Mawmaw comes out of the guest room (my mom is in town to help out while Scott is crazy-busy at work -- and to help me paint my room!) to survey the damage. At this point Claire starts crying because of all the commotion right outside her door. I go in to pick her up. When I come out, everyone has moved to the living room. Scott is getting Cade situated on the couch with rag towels and a pillow. Jack is wondering around muttering, "awfuls." In Jack-speak, that means waffles. Mawmaw was sitting on the loveseat. I gave Claire to my mom and told her that I would make a bottle; my mom responded by saying she didn't feel too well. I reassured her that I would feed Claire once I got the bottle made.

I had made it to the sink when I saw my mom move quickly across the room to the couch to hand off Claire. She muttered something about, "I can't hold her anymore" and then proceeded to blanket the entire room with last night's dinner. Somehow she managed to grab one of the rag towels we had brought out for Cade and made it over to the sink. She was hurtin'. I put a wet washcloth on her neck as she continued to empty the contents of her stomach. I was so busy tending to my mom that I didn't realize Scott's horrified face and his efforts to get my attention. Finally, I go over to him and realize that Claire had been blanketed with the fountain 'o spew. So my mom's pukin', Cade starts crying again, Claire is startled, Jack is now loudly repeating, "awfuls." And Scott is really needing to get to work.

Let me just say that it is priceless to have furniture that you can take out in the backyard and hose off. I hosed off my coffee table today (it's actually two outdoor benches that we have pushed together), and it's probably the cleanest it's been in years. Maybe Scott was on to something when he wanted inflatable furniture in the living room rather than slipcovered sofas...

I have cleaned up so much poop and vomit today... I'm done. I'm punching the clock and I'm outta here.

By the way: my mom gave me permission to post this story. She was giggling about the morning throughout the day today. And she feels much better, although she's weak. No pictures from today. Aside from naked Jack pictures, this is a family blog.

2 comments:

The Chandler Clan said...

poor thing :( hope everyone else stayed/s well!

steele family said...

Oh no! My heart hurts for you!!