Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Stickers! Stickers!

Part of my job last weekend at my mom's was to go through about 6 or 7 boxes of my childhood stuff. I had an absolute blast going through my old things. Blankets, toys, room decor I hadn't seen in years made me giggle and brought back so many memories!

One of the many gems I unearthed from the disgusting, spider egg-laden boxes was my sticker collection. Yes, I collected stickers. Don't be jealous. And don't pretend you didn't collect them either.

Do you remember scratch-and-sniff stickers? Loved those! I read somewhere in one of my sticker binders (yes, binders is plural there) that my favorite scratch-and-sniff was a taco. Yeeeech. A taco? Was my olfactory sense not quite developed at age 8? In case you're wondering, yes. The scratch-and-sniff stickers still had a scent to them. The scents, however, didn't always equate to the original scent. The coconut stickers smelled like musty nastiness. The banana stickers smelled like musty nastiness. The bubble gum stickers smelled like musty nastiness. Are you noticing a theme?

The grape scents lasted the best. The apple fared well too, as did the spearmint. Cade was enamored with the scratch-and-sniff.

I harvested all the stickers still in decent shape for the kids. They love putting stickers on their artwork, and since I'm incredibly cheap and figure that they won't notice the slight musty smell on many of the stickers, I figure we all make out like champs.

I also saved some vintage stickers. Remember when Houston had a football team that wasn't the Texans? Love ya Blue! Ah, the Oilers. We loved to hate them. Bum Philips, too. I have a full sticker sheet of Love Ya Blue stickers. I also have some vintage Hello Kitty as well as other Sanrio stickers. Do you remember the old lady (Clara Peller) in the Wendy's commercials that yelled, 'Where's the beef?!?" (odd trivia about me: I was Clara Peller for Halloween one year! Mom made the dress with the lace collar and everything!) I have some stickers of her and her famous question.

If I get a chance, I may post a few pics of my lavish collection. They are all out of the binders now, but you'll get a feel for my prized adhesive-backed beauties.

1 comment:

Curdie said...

of course we need pictures!

Especially of you in that costume.