Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

That Week We Went to the Art Museum {week 19}




Monday  We went to CC on Monday (our normal campus).  And for whatever reason, it didn't seem to be a long, exhausting day like it usually is.  Possibly because I tried to make more of an effort to like it.

Tuesday  I got started on time Tuesday, but one of my kids didn't.  So he lost game privileges for Saturday.  The kids need to be dressed and ready to go in their seats by 8am or they lose tv or video game time.  And since said kid wasn't dressed and had not brushed his teeth, he lost out.  Which also means he was in a terrible mood to start school.  And had a terrible attitude.  So we battled that for most of the morning.  Bah humbug.

Remarkably, we ended up getting quite a bit done in the morning, despite the above difficulty.

I also spent some time on Tuesday thinking about how workboxes could work in our homeschool.  I don't want it to be a burden to me (as traditional workboxes can be) but be a blessing and help streamline how assignments are given.  Kind of a step between what we are doing now and just giving the kids a list at the beginning of the week.

I bought the drawer cart below to try and figure this workbox stuff out with just Cade at first.  Once we find a good rhythm, then I can roll it out (no pun intended) to the other kids.
http://www.amazon.com/Seville-15-51-Inch-By15-4-Inch-38-2-Inch-Organizer/dp/B0049X4TSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391007933&sr=8-1&keywords=seville+classics+drawer+cart

Wednesday  We got started on time (!) Wednesday morning with decent attitudes. 

Here is Cade working on spelling.



And Jack working on math. (never mind the stuffed elephant in the forefront)

I am amazed at the amount of hand-holding that my kids need.  With Claire, I expect it.   She's 6.5 years old.  But with my boys, (10.5 and 8.5), I expect a little bit more.  It's disheartening to realize that they can't work independently.

I ended up exploding late in the night, spewing lots of angst and frustration all over Scott regarding homeschool.  Which led to...

Thursday  Scott had a Come to Jesus meeting with the kids to start out Thursday morning. There are multiple problems we are facing in our homeschool, and they are causing me quite a bit of stress apparently.  I try and keep calm every day while I'm working with the kids, but the cumulative stress built to an exploding point Wednesday evening.  Evidently I'm not dealing well with the stress.  Which isn't good for me (or anybody else in my household).

After Scott talked with the kids, attitudes were (magically) better and the day was not rough or frustrating at all.  Wish every day could be like that.  It was actually ... enjoyable.

Cade drew the picture below to help me deal with any frustrating days that come along.  :)


And then I randomly found this on someecards website.  This is me.

http://www.someecards.com/


Friday  We went to the Dallas Museum of Art on Friday with a group of friends from CC.  I had a blast!  The kids?  Not so much.  But who cares!  I got to see real live art!  And what was cool was that we had a live tour guide walking us to see pieces and artists that we've studied in the last several weeks at CC.


One of the painters and styles we've studied is Monet and impressionism. 


This one isn't a Monet (it's Camille Pissarro) but another fabulous example of impressionism.  Specifically pointillism.


We also got to see paintings that are done in the same style as Rembrandt. Unfortunately, the DMA doesn't have any Rembrandts.  But these were still stunning.



I won't bore you with any more pictures of paintings.  By 11, the kids were tired and hungry, so we left the museum (did you know the DMA is free now?!?) and went across the street to Klyde Warren Park.   It had a NYC kind of feel to the park and was pretty neat.  The weather was phenomenal!  We ate lunch there and chatted with some other CC friends.  The kids chased pigeons around the park.


There were numerous food trucks lined up so we looked at all that they offered.  The kids decided to get some cookies and ice cream.








We had a blast!



General Thoughts We had fantastic days Thursday and Friday.  It renewed my desire to homeschool.  I know all days won't be that great.  But if I can have those great days mixed in more frequently with the so-so and bad days, that would be great.  God, are you listening?

No comments: