Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

That Week That Was 5 Days Long {week 18}




Monday  Even though it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday, we still went to CC.  But that was a good thing because I got to talk in the morning with a mentor there who is a veteran homeschooler and veteran CCer.  Lori encouraged me and made suggestions and was extraordinarily helpful.  While I was emotionally exhausted after spilling my heart and tears out to her, the time spent with her was worth the exhaustion I felt the rest of the day.

Here is a terrible picture I took during Essentials (Cade's and my afternoon class).  We were all standing up to take a break and were listening to some riddles/stories and trying to solve them.  I think I caught Cade eating a mint.  And the boy in the back on the left (Josh) totally photobombed the picture.



Tuesday  Tuesday started well.  We got quite a bit done in the morning.  Here are the kids working on individual subjects (Claire - math, Jack - logic, Cade, writing (Essentials)


After lunch, though, things spiraled downhill.  By 3:15 PM, all three kids were in separate bedrooms until Daddy came home.  I was tired of the bickering, the picking on each other, the fighting, and ultimately, the crying.  I managed to keep my cool the whole time (yea me!)

Wednesday  Wednesday we had an impromptu day of NO SCHOOL.  I spent Wednesday at a neighboring CC campus to check things out.  My friend Lori suggested I do this to make sure I didn't want to change where the kids and I do CC.  The other campus that I visited is MUCH MUCH smaller than our current campus (which is HUGE).  The smaller campus has its pros and cons.  So now I'm torn about where to do CC.  The women at the other campus were SO warm, welcoming, and friendly; I felt like I belonged.  And the kids seemed to be friendly kids.  But I do have some concerns about the other campus that I won't go into here.

When I told the kids that I was going to visit another campus because we might possibly go there instead, they were dismayed.  The kids didn't want to go to another campus.  They argued that they do have friends at our current campus and are very happy there.  Very interesting. 

Thursday Thursday was a c-c-c-c-cold day.  So nice that I didn't have to send my kids out in the wee hours of the morning to catch the bus in the (what felt like) sub-zero weather!

We started on time and had quite a bit to do since we were playing a little catch up from missing Wednesday.



By lunch time, my patience was at a precariously low level. And by 1PM, I had made a child cry (they were very frustrated).  So there's that.

Friday Ahhh.  Friday.  Finally.  We got off to a slightly late start (I met with a friend at 7AM for an hour at Starbucks), but that was OK.  We got a lot done in the morning.  Kids were pretty wired during lunch.  And then it was back to work.  Cade and I got hard-core focused on Essentials.  Which was like pulling teeth.  I have to hold his hand so much, and I hate it.  I want him to be more self-directed and willing to do the assignments on his own.  GAH.  So frustrating!

General Thoughts  I really need to change how I give my kids their assignments.  I still need to look more into the workbox system.

I wish I was more disciplined.  I wish I didn't want to slough off and skip things (like reviewing CC material).  There is so much we could be doing that would be fantastic!  The options are almost limitless.  But my family is limited by my lameness. *sigh*

Every now and then, I need a laugh.  Maybe it's been a tough day.  Maybe the kids have been outrageous.  Maybe I'm being incredibly lame with regards to everything in my life and I just need a pick me up.  It is then that I stroll over to my pinterest board Ha! to browse some of the pins there.  Go ahead and head on over there.  There's some pretty funny stuff.

No comments: