Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Generically Mundane Update on our Family

This post goes out to Hillary (Hi Hillary!!), who for some weird crazy reason, likes to read about the sometimes zany but most often boring things my family is up to.

Scott's job at the church is going great. He absolutely loves it and is already making a difference. Some philosophical and real changes will be coming to the Community Group (our adult small groups) ministry, which is his main focus at this time. He's also been in touch with leaders from the other ministries he oversees (Men's, Seniors', 20's, Celebrate Recovery... I am positive I'm forgetting some) to talk about the current state of the ministries and to discuss where they want to take them in the future. Very exciting!

Cade, in 2nd grade, is doing great. He is reading at an accelerated level (although getting him to read for practice is like pulling teeth) and pretty much enjoys school. His favorite parts of his day are lunch and recess. Go figure. Cade goes to Tae Kwon Do once a week and enjoys it very much. He's also a cub scout and seems to like his den this year.

Jack, in kindergarten, is doing really well too. He continues to like school a lot, although he gets frustrated when he doesn't finish his work in class. The potty training issue hasn't been too bad. He always goes to the bathroom at school. And sometimes in the potty! (insert rim shot here) Seriously, he's doing OK in this area. But he still needs to work on identifying the feeling of needing to go to the bathroom. And then connecting that feeling with actually walking to the bathroom. For whatever reason, he hasn't caught on to this part and is what we need to currently work on. His therapist/counselor says that it's like he's not aware of his body. He doesn't understand or "get" his body all the time, and so he's out of sync with what comes naturally to most of us. But it doesn't seem to bother Jack much, and I don't think anyone has made fun of him yet at school.

We are trying to get Jack to do t-ball in the spring (this boy can hit a pitch both left-handed and right-handed; amazing hand-eye coordination). Some days he says he'll do it. Other days he's too afraid to try.

Claire Bear is doing well too. We're trying to get her moved out of this fussy phase she's in. She's 3, so it's kind of expected. "Use your words," we tell her. Usually to no avail. But every now and then, she'll say what she's feeling or needing, and there won't be any fussing. Small steps in the right direction! Claire takes ballet and tap once a week (which is one of the most adorable things I've ever seen). She's also started taking gymnastics. MawMaw gets to take Claire to both of these activities and gets to relive my early childhood with Claire (I was a gymnast for 8 years, in case you didn't know). Next time you see her, ask Claire to show you some of the things she's learning in dance class. There's no telling what she'll show you. And just assume that whatever she does show you is not what Mrs. Ericka is actually teaching her.

As for me,I am doing OK. My depression has reared its ugly head a few times in the last several weeks, which makes doing much of anything a real struggle. Motivation and confidence are at all-time lows at times like this. I'm still struggling with what I should be doing with most of my time. I've tried to get back on the house-cleaning train (after enjoying several wonderful years of having a maid every other week). Because who wants to live in a sty? But I keep feeling like there's something more I should/want to be doing. I yearn to have a calling. A passion that I don't feel guilty about doing (not that sewing or crafting is bad... yet I feel guilty when I'm so focused on a project) because it's what God has called me to do. Whether it's "spiritual" or not, who cares. I don't feel very used by God right now. And that makes me sad, lonely, and feeling crummy. Maybe I'll get a job. The extra money would ease our budget

Wow. Did this post just take a nosedive or what? Well, that's a look into my heart. Be careful what you ask for, Hillary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole... Becky here on JT's account. I'd love to put my Jack in t-ball too. Where are you thinking? I'm having a hard time finding sports for little guys here in Murphy....