Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fall Monogram Wreath Quasi-Tutorial

I received a request to go through the steps I took to make the front door wreath in the previous post. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to share of the process (like other so much worthier websites). I assume that nobody reads the dribble that I produce here at Frantlings and did not expect to get a question about the wreath! So here goes...

I've had the wreath for a couple of years now; it never was hung or used. Other than to collect dust. The wreath did that really well. When I saw this post, I ooohed and awwwwwed over the wreath. And since our front door was embarrassingly naked, I figured I had to make one. I did not follow the instructions over at Lil Luna (in fact, I did not even look at the directions), so my instructions will probably look a little different than theirs.

Supplies:
  • premade wreath (mine measures approx 24" in diameter and undecorated)
  • artificial/real twigs with berries or other decorative flora (if your wreath isn't already decorated)
  • wire cutters
  • hot glue gun (if you need to decorate your plain wreath)
  • letter (i used a wooden letter from Joann's that's approx 13" tall)
  • 1 sheet of scrapbook paper or wrapping paper big enough to cover your letter
  • coordinating color of craft paint
  • paint brush
  • Mod Podge (I used the matte formula)
  • floral wire
  • staple gun

  1. If your wreath is not already decorated, cut and arrange decorative stems (berries, fall leaves, etc) around your wreath to your liking.
  2. Hot glue each piece in place
  3. Paint the edges of your letter with craft paint; also paint a little bit over the edge onto the front of your letter (just in case it shows later)
  4. Apply a thinish coat of Mod Podge (you could also use spray adhesive here) to your letter and place onto the wrong side of your paper. Turn over your letter and smooth out bubbles. Also make sure that the paper is adhering to the entire letter (especially the edges). If it's not, then apply a little more Mod Podge in that area.
  5. Let letter dry according to the package directions (this is important; you don't want lots of bubbling in your paper!)
  6. Turn letter upside down. Cut away excess paper with a craft knife. Take your time! To smooth out any rough edges, you can either lightly sand with a fine sandpaper or use an emery board.
  7. Coat front and sides of letter with a light coat of Mod Podge (you could use a clear urethane type sealer here, but I don't think you'll get as good protection)
  8. Attaching the letter is a little tricky: I stapled a piece of floral wire (the floral wire was probably 14" in length; give yourself plenty of length to play around with) to the top and bottom of the backside of the letter. At the top, I threaded one end of the wire through the middle of the wreath; the other end went around the outside of the wreath. When I got them to meet in the back, I twisted them together. I did the same for the bottom wire. Adjust so the letter so that it's in the middle of the wreath
That's it! It was pretty easy and very inexpensive (especially since I already had the wreath). If you have any questions, please ask away!

No comments: