Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Contemplating...

For years now, I have wanted to own my own business. I was never really sure what I wanted to do. But I knew that I wanted to own a business. And for years now, Scott has said that I should sew custom pillows. And for years I shrugged the idea off.

Oh sure. I've sewn a duvet, bed skirt, numerous pillows, crib bumber, crib bedskirt and curtains. I even did a paying job for a friend that included a faux roman shade, window seat cushion, and pillows. But actually do it for regular money? Do I have the time? Do I have the skill?

Having some extra money trickle in right now would not be a bad thing. Not that we are in need of extra money. The Lord is taking care of us. But the extra money would be nice. So I have thought about getting a part time job. Possibly with The Container Store (love that place!). But Scott is encouraging me to finally start my own company rather than working for "the man".

So I'm thinking of starting a custom pillow and curtain company. It would be made-to-order; I'd have a few examples on hand (that could also be purchased). But mostly, I would sew upon request with clients would bringing me fabric. Or even better, I'd get to go shopping with them for the fabric. I LOVE fabric and believe that I am skilled and talented at putting different fabrics together for a nice chic pallet.

But I also love making clothes for Claire... and there are TONS of boutique patterns online to make REALLY cute stuff. Plus the fabric that's online... oh... my heart starts to beat faster just thinking about it.

I'm torn between trying to start small (pillows, curtains, other home dec projects) and expanding to work on things that I really love (like oh so cute clothing for kids and accessories for kids and women). Or just starting out with the clothing/accessories idea. Since most of my competition are other at-home sewers, with or without a website, I'm having a hard time determining how much competition I have. And what they charge. And my competitive advantages. And a niche to focus on.

Clearly, more research needs to done. But at some point, it will be gut-check time. A "just do it" time. A "put on your big girl panties" time. A "p*ss or get off the pot" time. (I love that last one -- totally stolen from The Office)

No comments: