Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

You're Gonna What?!?

I've always said that I wouldn't do it. I've always said that I couldn't do it. I admired people that did it. But it wasn't for me. No way could I handle it.

Until now.

Instead of sending Jack to kindergarten this fall (he just turned 5 a few weeks ago), I will be homeschooling him. Homeschooling. Did you hear that? Now pick yourself up off the floor and continue reading.

It's become more and more apparent that our sweet Jack Jack just isn't ready for kindergarten. There's the whole potty training issue (we're still doing a load of laundry a day that is just Jack's wet clothes). But aside from that, he's not emotionally or physically up to speed. We didn't notice it at first, but then as I saw Jack around more 5 year olds, I noticed that he was... different.

The first option I explored was private kindergarten. But due to the potty training issue, I could not find a school that would accept him. Which is totally understandable. But it stunk.

The second option I explored was sending him back to his Mother's Day Out program. The wonderful director there said that they would take him back for another year. But seeing as Jack already knew all of his letters and their sounds before the beginning of last year... well, it would just be a long, boring repeat of stuff he already knew.

The third option, and the only one left really, was homeschooling. I have several good friends that homeschool, and they were very encouraging to me. They moved me from, "There's no way I can do that!" to "Well, maybe I can try it" to "I'm gonna homeschool!".

I still can't believe those words are coming out of my mouth. There are moments when I'm elated that we are going down this road. And there are moments when I wonder what in the world I've gotten myself into.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's awesome! You'll do great!

Tiffany said...

You can do it Nicole! Think of it as the ultimate Business Council event and at least you only have 1 child or maybe 2 with Claire instead of 20+ b school organizational reps. This is what you have been training for :0)