Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

That week that was the last week of CC {week 13}





Monday  Monday was the last day of this semester for CC.  Can I get an hallelujah!?!
 
Here is Jack playing the tin whistle in class. 


Each week, a portion of class time is given to fine arts.  For the first six weeks of CC this year, we focused different elements of drawing.  The most recent six weeks have been learning basics of music and playing the tin whistle.  Next semester, we will study famous artists and art periods.

And here is Claire starting to chase Cade in the parking lot at CC.  And no, we don't make it a habit of running around parking lots.


Tuesday  I felt a little off on Tuesday.  Not quite dizzy, not quite a headache. Just not quite right in the head (no jokes, please.  I KNOW I'm not right in the head).  But we managed to do some school anyway.  Around 5pm our time, Scott left New Delhi, India, to start his trip home.  YEA!

Wednesday  It was hard for me to concentrate on doing school when I knew Scott was in the air on a 14 hour flight from Abu Dahbi, UAE, to Chicago.  I was so excited that he was coming home.  Even though he had only been gone for 12 days, it seemed like a lifetime.  He's definitely my better half.

But we managed to do school anyway.

Thursday  Didn't really want to do school on Thursday.  Scott was home!!!  But he had a lot of emails to catch up on, so we did a modified version of school and worked with Scott, side by side.  We got quite a bit done actually, but were done before lunch.

Friday  Scott was still home, recovering from his loonnnnggg airplane ride home.  But we did school anyway and got quite a bit done by lunch.  So early release day!

General Thought #1  I am relieved that CC is over for the semester.  Not only because Mondays can be so draining and long, but because it's information overload when we are there.  I (and I'm sure the kids too) am finding it SO difficult to keep all of the information we have learned in my head.  And I feel a little bit guiltier each week as I realize this is just more information that I may or (more likely) may not remember.

I'm also relieved that CC is over because it gives us a day off each week.  We can go on a field trip, catch up on work, or just rest and relax on that extra day. 

Or take crazy pictures.



General Thought #2  Having Scott home with us two days this week revealed that the kids' attitudes still aren't where they need to be.  The attitude problems can manifest themselves in very subtle ways.  But it's still rebellion.  And Scott, who is on the "outside" of your school, can easily pick up on it and say something.  Whereas I, who am on the "inside" of our school, tend to sweep it under the rug in the name of getting work done. Which isn't a good thing. I want to be more concerned with my kids' character than them learning how to multiply 2 digit numbers.  I mean, sure.  I want them to know how to multiply.  But their character is FAR more important.

So I will need to be extra vigilant going forward.  I will need to stop what we are doing and address the issue(s) at that moment in time.   Not just rush on, in order to get work accomplished.  And doing this, I'm sure, will be a constant battle within myself.

No comments: