Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Eager Beavers

We've already started.  Homeschooling that is.  We've already started, and it's summer break! 

"Isn't that child abuse?", you ask.  Why no.  No it isn't.  Not when your kids are begging to start homeschooling.  And no, we haven't drugged our children.

The boys had been begging me to start homeschooling since school let out.  So I obliged them, of course!  We have only begun math.  And for the most part, it's VERY easy and mostly review so far.  In addition to satisfying the kids' desire to learn, I also wanted to get my feet in the water and test things out with just one subject.  As the weeks go by, we'll probably add in a subject or two and see how the adjustment goes. 

I'm learning that a lot of Texas homeschoolers (none that I know personally, however) do school in the summer because it is SO STINKIN' HOT outside.  There's not much else to do (my kids aren't strong swimmers and don't love the pool), so why not get some school done and take a break in the fall and spring when it's so nice outside? 

It's so not what we're used to (public schools don't do it that way), that it's taking my brain a long time to get that it's OK to do things differently than what we're used to.  After all, homeschooling isn't necessarily supposed to be public school at home.  With homeschooling, and especially in the great state of Texas, you have the flexibility to do things the way you want to do them (and what best fits for your family), not the way a government tells you to do it.

No comments: