Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Le Homeschool Room

I've been working the past few weeks on getting the homeschool room together. Jack and I start on Monday, and I wanted to have everything organized before we started so that I could concentrate on the job at hand rather than frantically trying to find stuff!

The room we chose for the school room is a little quirky. It's only 9.5' by 5.5'. We're not sure what the original purpose of this alcove-type room. The former owner (and builder of the house) mentioned that it was an optional wet bar area for upstairs. But then I heard a neighbor say that, in the model home with this same floor plan, there was a built in desk. So it was either supposed to be a wet bar or an office. Either way, it's an awkward room because there's not much you can do with it. The former owner had a treadmill in there, which was a pretty nice use of the space.

I started by painting the walls a dusty blue. The pictures make it look baby blue. But the color has quite a bit of gray in it. I decided to accessorize with a limey green, orange, and white.

After painting, I covered some wood letters with scrapbook paper and mounted those on the wall.




I also mounted a file folder holder from IKEA.




Next, I mounted what is essentially a curtain rod. But it's made of wire with a turnbuckle and has little clips for hanging. So I'll use it to display Jack & Claire's work.



Then I put together a desk from IKEA. It's long enough for the three of us to all sit together and work. I, of course, will be sitting between Jack & Claire so that it's harder for them to talk to each other, thus hopefully avoiding fights, bickering, and general tomfoolery. The chairs and lamp are from Target.


I also hung a few numbers over the light switch


My Mom had an armoire that my Dad had loved but that she wasn't a big fan of. Guess what colors are in it? Green and orange, thank you very much. So it sits right outside the room in the hallway (it's a wide hallway) and stores curriculum and manipulatives.




And voila. We now have a homeschool room that I won't be opposed to sitting in for an hour or two a day. I'm so pleased with it. It makes me happy to walk past it. So cute!

No comments: