Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Artsy Fartsy

I'm not sure why I do this to myself. Why would I put myself through torture?

I saw some unfinished birdhouses the other day at Joann's, and knowing that Cade loves to paint, I bought one for each boy. You can't buy something like that for one kid and not get one for the other kid. Of course once Cade saw the birdhouses, he wanted to get started right away. So after much begging, I relented. Now, my concern was not with Cade. He is as cautious as they come and doesn't like to get messy. Jack? He's the polar opposite. If there is a way for Jack to make a mess, he will find it and exploit it with all this toddler power.

The really unfortunate thing about all this is it was 5PM by the time I agreed to the project, which in our house translates to cookin' time. So I hurriedly spread out some newspaper on our table, got out the paints, and changed the boys into some painting clothes. Back and forth from the stove to the table and back again. I wore a trail in the linoleum. I don't think I burned dinner.

The really really unfortunate thing about all this is that Claire, who is scooting around the house now, was crawling all over the kitchen at this time. And Jack, who had a glass of water in front of him so that he could wash his brush off before changing paint colors, apparently wanted to see how far the now dirty water could go if he continued to pound his brush into the cup. Let me tell you that the water goes far. He's got good distance.

And of course Claire crawls right through the puddles of water-diluted paint, leaving a path where she's crawled.

I can't even remember cooking dinner that night. I sure hope it was cooked all the way through.





1 comment:

steele family said...

that sounds like my house!