Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

{week 8}



We thoroughly enjoyed our week off last week.  We got the kids' pictures taken (see previous post) on Monday.  On Thursday, the kids, my mom, and my mother-in-law who was visiting for the week, went to a local farm and pumpkin patch.  It was great!  We got to feed some sheep and goats as well as a longhorn and its baby.





We also went on a hay ride around the farm:




We got to each pick out a pumpkin to take home:




It took the kids FOREVER to pick out their pumpkins.  


Then we ate lunch:


Lastly, I made everyone take some pictures:





Well.  After taking a week off for a fall break, it was mighty difficult to get back in the groove of school.  On to this past week:

Monday  Classical Conversations made for a long, grueling day. I'm sometimes appalled and most often annoyed by other people's kids.  I do realize that my kids are not angels.  They are not perfect and they annoy me frequently, too.  But GEEZ.  Some of the kids at CC are wild.  And don't listen or respect to authority.  It's really frustrating and annoying to be around some of these kids for hours.  BUT.  The information we are learning and the style in which we are learning it are worth the annoyance.  Barely.

Tuesday  Tuesday started off kind of rough.  We started the day pretty much on time.  But one kid had a terrible attitude.  And it started to affect us all.  Somehow things got better and we got on with our day. We cut school after lunch time.  Between the rainy day outside and our attitudes, we just needed to be done.

Wednesday Oh Wednesday.  Wednesday started out with such promise. And then bad attitudes and frustration crept into our house.  And oh boy.  Explosions happened.  It got ugly. There was crying and gnashing of teeth.  And that was just me.  We were done by lunch again.

Thursday  Thursday was so much better.  Frustration started to creep in, but we took some measures to head it off (think deep breathing, praying, and taking a 5 minute break).  One of the frustrating exercises included looking possibly misspelled words up in the dictionary.

Here is Jack looking up said words in MY DICTIONARY from when I was a kid.  Man.  I got sooo tired of hearing my Dad tell me, "Go look it up in the dictionary," when I would ask him how to spell a word.  But.  It's definitely a useful skill to know.


To review our CC memory work, I've come up with a review/bribery game that has served us well.  I've laminated cards based on the memory work and dumped them in a basket.  The kids pick out a card; if they answer it correctly, they get a Mike & Ike.  The kids are always excited to review their memory work, which makes this Mom happy.



Friday  Friday was good.  We got started a little late (a trend I don't like) but managed to catch up pretty quickly. 

Here is Claire  making up her own math problems in some downtime.:


Here Jack is working with manipulatives during a math lesson.


Did you catch the facial expressions in the last two pics?  I think my kids are getting sick of me taking pictures of them.  :)


No comments: