Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jaws 5

(I had to look up on imdb.com how many Jaws movies there have been. Can you believe there were a total of four in the franchise?!?)

Cade had his first ever swim lesson this morning. It wasn't so much a swim lesson as it was a time of floating, but now we're getting into semantics.

Cade has been looking forward to swim lessons for a month now. And he was practically giddy this week, knowing that Saturday meant swim lessons!. After a hearty breakfast of butt-enlarging biscuits, Cade and I traipsed over to the Natatorium for his lesson. We made it through the lobby and into the pool area. We even made it to where the other kids and parents were gathered. And that's about as far as we got before utter fear struck my now-5 year old. It wasn't so much what was in the water. It was the water (cue the Jaws theme music).

Cade refused to take his shoes off. He refused to let me do it. All he was interested in doing was going home. After the head swim instructor got nowhere with Cade, he advised me to take Cade back into the lobby and undress him there (Cade had his swim shorts underneath his clothes; it was kind of chilly this morning). So back we went out to the lobby. I tried to distract Cade by talking about the huge rock climbing wall that was out there, but he wasn't buying what I was selling. He kicked and screamed as I ripped off his clothes. I half-dragged, half-carried Cade back into the swimming area where a patient swim instructor took him from me. I then proceeded to go into hiding upstairs where I could spy on Cade.

After 5 minutes in the water, Cade was perfectly fine. He even rejoined his class after being held by one of the instructors in the lazy river. By the end of class, Cade was beaming and couldn't wait for next Saturday. Hope he doesn't get amnesia between now and then.

4 comments:

The Chandler Clan said...

sweet Cade, way to hang in there!

Sarah Howard said...

Nice to see you back in the blogging world. I was about to go into Nicole humor withdrawal. Thanks for feeding my addiction. :) We're going to enter the swimming lesson world this summer, too - I have a feeling that our experience will be eerily similar...

The Scotts said...

Maybe we could all put our video footage to use and make Jaws 5!!!! Jonny would fit in that catagory of dont touch me I am not getting in the water with you!

The Chandler Clan said...

i'm dying to know, how is swimming going now?